OET Reading Sub-test Part A
In the OET Reading Part A, you will be given 3–4 shorts texts (650 words each) related to a single healthcare topic. Your task is to read each healthcare-related text and to answer 20 questions in 15 minutes. This OET reading task also consists of various question types such as sentence completion, matching, and short-answer questions.
The OET Reading Sub-test Part A assesses your ability to identify specific information from multiple texts, as well as to determine the main idea of each healthcare-related reading passage.
3 Simple Tips for the OET Reading Part A
If you’re a test taker enrolled in an OET review center Manila, it is practical to find the best test-taking strategy that can help boost your exam preparation and ace the OET Reading Part A. To help you achieve this, read and follow these three simple tips!
Simple Tip #1: Determine the question types
As a student attending review classes in an OET training center, it is vital to know the intricacies of the OET Reading Part A, which include these three question types:
• Sentence completion – This question type requires you to read various sentences summarizing the main idea of the healthcare-related short texts. Each sentence contains several gaps, and your task is to fill in each gap using the information from the four short texts.
• Matching questions – In this question type, you will be given a numbered list of items connected to the healthcare-related short texts. Your task is to identify to which of the four short texts does each item belong.
• Short-answer questions – This question type involves answering each question with a word or short phrase from one of the short texts.
Simple Tip #2: Skim the texts
When skimming each healthcare-related text, consider these two crucial points:
• Write down all the critical points such as headings and subheadings, bold and italicized words or phrase, medical terms, and other essential information from the text. Doing this will help you understand the overall gist of each short text.
• Apply a note-taking strategy to organize your notes properly. During your review classes in an OET training center, look for a good note-taking technique that you can use during the exam.
Simple Tip #3: Manage your time
Time management plays an important role in the OET Reading Part A. If you’re a test taker enrolled in an OET review center Manila, check out these five practical points on how to manage your time in this reading task:
• Use your notes as your guide when answering each question.
• Answer the easy questions first.
• Don’t spend too much time answering every question type.
• Use the process of elimination if you still can’t figure out the answer.
• Check your answers before you process to the next OET component.
Need more? Enroll now in JRooz OET Review Center (Manila, Makati, Cebu, Davao, and Baguio) and check out our blog for more OET simple tips and test-taking strategies.