As one of the sub-tests of the Occupational English Test, the listening section consists of the following parts:
• Part A: Consultation Extracts
You will listen to two recorded medical professional-patient consultations. Your task is to complete the health professional’s notes using the information from the audio clips.
• Part B: Short Workplace Extracts
You will listen to six recorded extracts like team briefings, handovers, or medical professional–patient dialogues. Your task is to answer one multiple-choice question for each extract.
• Part C: Presentation Extracts
You will listen to two different healthcare-related extracts. Your task is to answer various multiple-choice questions for each presentation extract.
In order to successfully accomplish these listening tasks, below are superb tips that you can utilize during your OET online review preparation.
Five OET Test-taking Strategies for the Listening Sub-test
If your ultimate goal is to get a high OET band score in the listening test, then read and follow these five OET test-taking strategies:
1. Read the instructions
The OET Listening Sub-test consists of the following guidelines:
• Do not open the OET question paper until you are told to do so.
• Across all three listening parts, a range of accents is used in the audio clips to reflect the global nature of the healthcare workforce.
• You will only hear each recording once.
• At the end of the text, you will be given two minutes to review your answers.
2. Determine the question types
There are two types of questions in the OET Listening Sub-test.
• Note-completion tasks
For this item type, you will be asked to fill in the gaps of an incomplete healthcare professional’s notes.
• Multiple-choice questions
For this item type, you will be given a question with three possible options. Your task is to choose one correct answer using the information from the audio clip.
3. List down critical points
As you listen to the audio clips, write down all the keywords such as names, dates, and medical terminologies. Utilize a note-taking strategy to manage your notes properly. During your OET online course review sessions, look for the best note-taking technique that you can apply while taking the listening test.
4. Manage your time
Time management plays a critical factor when answering each listening task. To guide you on how to manage your time in the OET Listening Sub-test, simply read and follow these tips:
• Spend at least one minute reading the instructions.
• Spend at least two to three minutes organizing your notes.
• Spend 30 seconds answering each question.
• Keep in mind that there are short breaks between each question. Use this time to review your answers.
• If you still can’t figure out the answer, skip it and come back to it later.
5. Review your answers
Maximize the two-minute extra time to review your answers before you proceed to the next part of the Occupational English Test.
Thirsty for more exam tips? Enroll now in a JRooz OET Online Review Course and check out our blog today!