Recently this year, the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) opened the Occupational English Test (OET) exam for healthcare professionals who wish to work or study in countries, such as Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and the most recent addition, the United Kingdom. Wondering why there is an increasing number of healthcare professionals who are taking an OET review exam? Here is a brief discussion of the essential things you need to know about the test.
What is OET?
OET is a language proficiency test specifically designed for English in the medical context. It was formulated to assess if healthcare professionals who are non-native English speakers have sufficient knowledge of the language. It aims to determine if they have the communication skills necessary to communicate, adapt, and work in the medical field.
OET Review Exam Components
The test is recognized by the regulatory authorities of most major health professions across Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and the UK. OET is administered ten times a year in over 40 test centers around the world. It assesses examinees’ core communication skills: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking.
- OET Listening TestThis section is designed to assess examinees’ ability to select and comprehend essential details in the medical field. Topics are of general healthcare interest. The exam lasts for 40–60 minutes.
- OET Reading TestThis section aims to assess the reading comprehension skills of test-takers. It tests individuals’ ability to source information from multiple texts, understand conventions of different medical documents, differentiate main ideas from supporting details, and understand numerical and textual data. The exam lasts for an hour.
- OET Writing TestThis section is designed based on typical workplace situation and professional demands. It aims to assess examinees’ performance on five criteria: overall task fulfillment, appropriateness of language, comprehension of stimulus, linguistic features, and presentation features. The test lasts for 45 minutes.
- OET Speaking Test Finally, this section aims to assess examinees’ ability to communicate in real-life medical scenarios. The test is a set of role-plays that are based on typical workplace demands and situations. The exam lasts for 20 minutes.
Advantages of OET Exam
- Since OET is profession specific, it is the best option for healthcare professionals especially for nurses to test their knowledge and experience in the field. The exam assesses the following professions.
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Pathology
- Veterinary Science
- The test is based on typical workplace demands and situations that are specific to examinees’ chosen profession.
- It is becoming widely recognized by hospitals, healthcare providers, and universities as a relevant qualification for health professionals who wish to work or pursue their post-graduate studies.
- It allows medical practitioners to exercise their knowledge and vocabulary in the field.
- It provides a valid assessment of the four language skills essential in adapting to work or academic environment.
OET exam is accessible to thousands of healthcare professionals around the world. Are you aspiring to pursue your professional career or study in countries such as the UK and Australia? Take a step closer to your dream!
JRooz OET Review Center is committed to helping healthcare professionals share their talents and skills abroad. Visit our training center. Let us help you hone your English communication skills!